Wednesday, May 19, 2010




Oh how I am so lucky to have not one, but two sisters. Tonight I got to talk to allison face to face on skype in over two months. I was beyond filled with joy. It was a big relief to see her face and hear her voice. The weird thing was that I had felt like we had just seen eachother the other day which I am not sure if thats good or bad I just felt really comfortable about our talk. We didn't have a lot of time because she was studying and I was heading to bed, but we did our best to fill eachother in on our lives. I have my moments especially after getting off skype with her and knowing that she is miles and miles away that I want to be with her so bad, but knowing she wants me to be here and is happy for me makes it that much easier. As time continues I value and I value those relationships in my life that really push me and show me love. Show me the things that help me grow and I value her. So much. She is much more than a sister. Both of my sisters are and only Sisters understand that bond. I am so proud of her and I look forward to all the things that come her way. Keep smiling keep doing.

Today was my first day with Suela. Stephanie and Susan walked me over to meet Suela and the Health Directory. I have never lived in a city setting so this was my first taste and I can see that I will enjoy this walking business, coffees out on the corner, and all the people. This morning was a bit hectic as Suela introduced me to so many people she works with and friends. I was thankful for Suela and her positive attitude because I got introduced to many people around town and different organizations that I am excited to get started to work! We had many coffee dates in a matter of three hours! This is a coffee culture so when people want to get to know you they take you out to coffee. I never ever appreciated coffee until I came here. There is so much more to the word coffee coming from an albanian perspective. And I am now an addict of coffee. There was a period of time that Suela and I had by ourselves and that's when I began to see things, see things are so different here and sometimes not fair. I don't believe that it's appropriate to sit here and write about her life because it's not neccessay all I know is that sometimes you never know (sometimes you may never) what someone has gone through or is dealing with at first glances. All I can say is that she is an amazing and I truly mean that she is strong beyond words and someday all things will work out just the way she sees it. I pray for that because she deserves it. When you have people open up to you and you deeply care about someone you step back and realize that people make choices for different reasons. They are her choices.

After my afternoon I met up with the others to see Susans apartment and mine. This was such an exciting moment for us both. Susan and I live about a five minute walk from eachother which is great. I am absoloutely in love with my apartment it has a splash of modern mixed in with some good ole' albanian style. Love it! I think I am most excited about having a place of my own and realizing that this will be my place that I get to come home to everyday. This is my first time doing something like this. Living on my own, sleeping alone and what better place to experience than in Albania.

5/12/10
Today I met Suela around ten to do some more greet and such business. Today was the first realization of my great sense of direction. I was supposed to meet her around 1030 and we actually didn't meet face to face until close to noon. With my little shqip skills and her little English we got things a little mixed up of where to be. I was just happy that when we finally did meet up that she wasn't upset and she was understanding. After that ordeal I went with Suela to meet two other ladies for coffee. Suela has her three favorite coffee places in the city and we saw two of them yesterday. They are spectacular. This coffee/bar had a view that overlooked everything. It was marvelous. So we sat there and talked for a bit. We were discussing the lack of information for pregnant women because one of the ladies that was there was pregnant and she was explaining to me that she has no information and with her first child she was scared because she didn't know what was happening with her body and state of mind. It made me think about starting some prenatal classes or something along those lines.

5/15/10
Today was my last morning in Fier before I headed back to Thane. I got up early to pack my stuff and got ready as I checked my email and such one last time and Courtney was online so we had a skype date. It was so weird as I began to talk with her and I could see her room in the background I literally felt that I was there. I am not sure which was worse having that call end or knowing that I wasn't five minutes away from her. As we had our phone call I was just thankful for the time. I was so lucky that this weekend I not only got to see my new home Fier and all that it has to offer, but I got to talk to my parents, Allison, and Courtney. And because of all of them I was in the best mood ever. My friends and family are my constant reminders and those times I do have with them are the best. That morning before we headed back the girls one last time cooked us an amazing breakfast. We had french toast which was absolutely amazing and as I had that last meal I wondered if I would ever have such meals again like the ones in Fier. They were absolutely the best and I am so thankful for all three of them and their welcoming arms to Fier. I am sadden that the two girls have to leave because the little time that we did have together got me pumped up about my upcoming life in Fier, but I am so lucky to have Susan and Chris who will be going through all of this with me.

Today was a special day because it was my Grandpa's birthday! I was so excited to get home and at this point just ready to see them all again. It had only been about a week, but I really missed them and wanted to back in that home. I have definitely attached myself to them and I saw that when I was in Fier. As everyone is so excited to leave and be on their own for me it's so different. My feelings of excitment are there, but I don't want to leave. I am so happy here and have built these relationships with these people that they are my family here and the idea of actually living alone and being alone consume me. Sometimes I think how can someone of my age (23) have all these worries and fears, but then again I know that with any age fear is always there. Fear never goes away, but you learn with time( I believe )that fear becomes more of a way for one to see things it leaves you with the choice do something or to not. So as I have to leave this place where I will always remember it as the place where it all began I know there is so much to be discovered and learned from Fier. On my way home I had picked up a treat and some flowers for my Grandpa. I walked home overwhelmed with exhaustion, but definitely at a peace knowing that I was going home. ( My albanian home) I knew I had a place now and forever that if I ever doubted my reasons of being here in any sense I would go there. I would go to Thane. I was embraced with tons of hugs and kisses as I walked down the drive way. I went into the kitchen and ate like an albanian and it was good. We exchanged what had happened in our weeks and were glad to know that I was happy about it all, but I could tell it was hard for them also ( knowing that I was leaving) and that crushed me. My Mom told me that during the week Andrea got really worried about me and thought I wasn't coming back. I love that kid so much that sometimes I wish I could just stay here for my two years. Everything is so real when I am with them, they have helped me realize so much that I don't know how to ever explain that to them. So we had some family come over for the festivities which is always fun. We had a feast and I couldn't even finish my first plate. We had three different plates served to us and by the time it was all served it was 1030 at night. I was literally falling asleep at the dinner and I was heading to bed. My whole family stayed up to until about one in the morning because it was the Big Brother Finale. Ha. I don't know how they can stay up so late and then wake up so early to do work. Sometimes I wonder how they function and tell myself that I am never allowed to complain. They work so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment