Wednesday, May 19, 2010




5-6
Today is Andrea's Birthday! Woo-Hoo! I hope she had a great first Birthday in Albania! I know it's times like these when sometimes you wish you were home surrounded by your family and friends, but I tried to make it special for her and I hope she enjoyed it. After class we headed to Cerrik where some of the other volunteers joined us as we had some sodas and goodies. I was happy that I got to be there for her on her birthday because I have grown very close to her and it was a good day to remind her that I was thankful for that. Thankful that we had experienced Thane together and so much more! After our little outing in Cerrik we headed back to Andrea's house where we were invited for dinner. My sister actually got to join also because the sisters are best friends. It was such a lovely dinner filled with many servings and of course only the best for the guests. I really thought that this would have worn off after a few weeks, but they continue to spoil you day after day. They even pulled out a cake with candles for Andrea. It was very nice and Andrea and I had a little fun with the cake. It was a late night for me, but its times like these when I move to my new site that I will really miss.

5-9
Today is Sunday and in America it's Mother's Day, so to all you Mother's out there I hope you felt appreciated because you all deserve a Day if not many more to be recognized. Happy Mother's Day, Mom I hope you enjoy your day with the family and know that all your children ( no matter how far!) love you and everyday I am here I am reminded that all of this came true because of your influence ( that extra push that you know I need) I am forever grateful for the woman you are and one day hope that my children will say the same about me.

Today I came home mid-morning with Aimee from our adventurous camping trip. Most of the group headed to Belsh, a near town and camped out for the night. From Thane to Belsh was about 30-40 minutes then about an hour walk/hike up to our destination. The view was a 360 view of the town surrounded by grass areas and fields. It was spectatcular. Andrea and I got there around three o'clock because we were having some trouble catching a furgon. ( times like yesterday when you forget what it's like to have a car and be able to get in it when you want to go.) We met some others in town and picked up some snacks before heading up to the mountain. Most of the volunteers had been there for a bit so when we arrived everyone was playing games. It reminded me of camp and all those nights camping out on the deck or shaver lake and playing games. ( Good times! I will miss GAC this summer! Oh Sierra Mountains, how I love you!) So since I didn't pay much attention to the packing list I forgot a sleeping bag ( in America that is!) so My host Mom packed me some blankets and a pillow, lets just say I was freezing and won't be doing that again unless I have a bag. I was thankful that Aimee and Laura slept practically on me for some body warmth. It was a great night shared with new friends. We had a fire, snacks, music, games, and lots of great memories. We were really lucky because the morning brought rain, but it didn't rain at all when we were up there. Overall a great night. I got home around nine o'clock and I am sure my Mom didn't expect me to be that early so she told me to go upstairs rest and take a shower. So I took my first nap in Albania which was absolutely amazing. Even though it's totally acceptable because all of my family members at some point throughout the day lay down on the couch or outside and close their eyes. I just try to do everything in my power to be around the family, but today was an exception and I think they were ok with it. Today was very relaxed which don't come to often here so I spent the day hanging with my brothers and sisters. Andrea (little brother) helped me pack for tomorrow and we made friendship bracelets. I love that I always have a buddy to do things with. He is more than willing to do anything with me and I appreciate him, I appreciate that he just wants to hang out with me. He helped me pick out some outfits (ha) and clean my room. I just don't know how I am going to leave this family now. I am leaving for a week tomorrow and then when I come back I only have two weeks then I swear in and move to Fier. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Time is just flying by!

Today is Monday the day I meet my counterpart. I had to again leave Thane saying goodbye to my family as I had to remind them that this was just a week, but a week is a long time, but I will be back. The morning started off with me and most of my luggage as I had to carry it across Elbason to meet the other volunteers and the bus. Carrying your overweight bags across town is not fun and I am thankful that I get to get rid of half of it this week in Fier. So that when I make my final move to Fier I will just have half of my belongings. People seem to be amazed at the luggage I brought, but it's two years of my life, it's a big deal. Today was a long awaited day. In the morning me traveled to Tirana and then were given a tour by previous volunteers which was absolutely amazing. We did a lot of walking and touring. It was nice to get a sense of what Tirana has to offer and I am excited when I have some time to do more exploring. After our tour we headed back on the bus and headed to Durres. This is where we will be staying for a few days during the counterpart conference. Our hotel was gorgeous and right by the water. Sometimes I am just so amazed at the organization of all of this and how kind everyone is time and again. I am so thankful for all their hard work and really appreciate all that is given to us. Sometimes they might never hear all the thank-yous that they deserve, but I hope I can make them proud of the things I do.

Wow, sometimes I wonder when I will reach a point in my life or when that time will come when I fully understand that I have a God that knows all and knows my needs. When will I trust that everything will always work out in his perfect timing. I say that because I was so nervous about meeting my counterpart and got so caught up in everything that was going on and all the nerves, but I should have been focusing on God's will and that in the end even if I don't see it the way he does, it's perfect for me, it's what I need and I should always believe that. (Thats where my focus should have been.) This was such a crucial moment in my time here because this was the beginning of my everything in Fier. All that I am going to do all my hopes, dreams, desires ( yes I said that) was all for me depending on if we could really hit off. I mean I knew that if things didn't work out with us which in some cases people have had that happen then they make do, but I so badly wanted to have someone on my side. I wanted that initial meeting to be the beginning of something great, something life changing. And it was. She said something to me that I will never forget. As we said our goodbyes that first night she told me "Kristen, I know this will all work out because in your eyes I see something, I see you light up, I see you light up when you talk about people in need and know you are a good person. (Wow do I even deserve a compliment like that, what have I done? One day I will make her proud of what she said and maybe believe it hands down.) I had such a great night meeting her and getting to know here. She is just as excited as I am and speaks pretty good English which has its benefits and drawbacks, but at this point I am thankful that she does speak English because last night we talked about somethings and we found a common ground that I think ties us extremely close. After a few hours of chit chatting I headed out with Suela and some other Albanian women and two current volunteers for a night out on the town. Most of the volunteers were just going to stay around the hotel and hang out with eachother, but my counterpart insisted that I come out with her. So we took a bus walked around Durres and had a nice dinner. The women wanted to find a karoke bar, but as time was getting late we gave up our hunt. It was about 1045 when we finally arrived back at the hotel. I was completely exhausted because I hadn't stayed up pass 10 in weeks, but we had fun. I hope this is a foreshadow of what my future will look like here in Albania. My future in Fier.

Today we had to be up bright and early for some morning sessions with our counterparts. We all split off into our sections and spent the morning listening to lectures, but also brainstorming for some ideas for the summer events in Fier. As I sat there with Suela we had so much to talk about and so many things-projects we want to start. We wrote a lesson plan for our first project which will hopefully be on June 1 which is Children's Day. We want to give back to the Roma Community and take a kindergarten class to a park and do an activity about dreams and wishes. We are going to make kites and have kids write on paper their dreams and then tie them to the kites and let them go in the air. This is a Day for the kids and especially these kids need to reminded that they are loved and important and EVERYONE big/small/young/old should have a dream. After our afternoon Suela's husband and son came and met us at the hotel to drive us back to Fier. It was about an hour and half car ride. The ride was pretty fast and beautiful. I got my first look at my new city and I was pumped. They then dropped me off with Stephanie,Chris, and Susan (and Britney!). We had our first meal together and the girls made mexican food. I was pretty excited and thought this will probably be my last time eating such a meal as this. ( I am crossing my fingers for Susan to be a good cook! ha I apologize for my obsession with food. I will survive I promise!) So Stephanie and Britney are leaving Fier in a few weeks to head back to the States. There journey here is finished, but on to the next. It was nice to have their insights about Fier and they have been so kind to us feeding us and sharing Fier with us. I am thankful that Stephanie opened her home to us and probably gave us the best gift which was introducing us to people all around the town to hopefully work with throughout the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment